Monday, April 28, 2014

Jamie Oliver's Chicken in Milk

| | 0 comments

This recipe is no stranger to the food blogosphere. It's also my second attempt making it again, after don't know how long. The first time I cooked this, I used a glass dish and didn't bake as long. So, it wasn't that nice I think. 

Since we have this cast iron pan, I used it this time simply because it's great for photography, and I don't have to wash extra pans and stuff. Win win. 


This is an easy dish for those lazy weekends where you are too lazy to go out for meals or those food joints around your neighbourhood are just pure disappointing/ nothing interesting (my case). It's a healthy meal too, despite the amount of milk and cream (well milk and cream is good for your bones no?). 


I made a loaf of crusty bread to go along with the chicken and the milky juices. Unfortunately, the bread was a disaster. Will blog about it in a different entry. Oh there is the bread, making an appearance. It looks pretty good here. Wait until you find out what actually happened. Nevertheless, the chicken did not disappoint (Thank God). I will probably season it better next time for extra flavours. 


Jamie's Oliver Chicken in Milk


Source: Adapted from Table for 2 or more with minor adjustments

Ingredients:
  • 2kg chicken whole legs (6 pieces) - I used 2 chicken whole legs, 3 chicken thighs
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • Black Pepper
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • 12 cloves garlic (skin on)
  • 2 tbsp lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
  • 3 springs of sage
  • 2 inch cinnamon stick (I omitted)
  • Cooking oil for pan frying
*I added juice of half a lemon (Should have added the whole lemon)

Method:

1. Sprinkle salt and pepper over chicken and gently rub it. Marinate for 30 minutes.
2. Heat a pan on high heat and put few tablespoons of oil.
3. Lay chicken pieces skin side down and fry until it looks golden. Pan must be hot. Do not have to cook through the chicken.
4. Remove chicken pieces and place into 9x13 baking dish (I used the same cast iron pan).
5. Combine milk, cream, cinnamon, lemon zest and sage and pour over chicken. Stick garlic in between chicken.
6. Bake in cold oven 180C/ 200C for 50 minutes to 1 hour until chicken turns golden and cheese looks like golden melted cheese. (I bake in pre-heated oven after baking my bread)





0 comments :

Post a Comment

Archives